Thursday, July 2, 2009

Herb Garden

My kitchen is about the size of a typical closet in most suburban homes, so my dream of a lovely kitchen window-sill garden where I can snip herbs straight from the source has been put on the back-burner. For one thing, I don't have a kitchen window. What I do have is a big window in my living/dining/guest room (Apartment living means things become 'multi-purpose'). Never one to settle, I set up my mini herb garden in there. I bought myself some pots, soil and ordered the Chia Herb Garden Seeds. It's been a week and here are the results:
                                                                                         
 
        

As you can see, I've got some pretty good sprouts on the basil, chives, marjoram, and dill. The parsley is lagging a bit behind but I'm not giving up hope yet. Cooking with fresh herbs is a great way to give food a clean flavor that pops in your mouth. It's also a nice way to bring some green into your apartment. This week I am adding a mint and lavender plant for the wonderful aromas. If your apartment is even tinier than mine and you don't have a windowsill available you have my condolences and my suggestion for the AeroGarden which comes with it's own light system. It's pricey, but it'll fit almost anywhere. If you've got a cheaper option feel free to let our readers know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment