Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mildew Prevention

I hate mildew with a passion. If I had it my way, I would have glass shower doors that sparkled. But for now, me and my shower curtain are battling mildew. Until a few months ago it was a pretty downhill battle. A month or so after placing a new curtain I'd see the telltale signs of mildew starting to form. No matter how hard I scrubbed, two months later I'd find myself in the bath section of Bed Bath and Beyond picking out a new curtain. But now, I have a system. It's been a over two months and my curtain is still looking brand spanking new. Here's some tips to help you with your mildew battles.

1) Buy a curtain that is thick and says mildew resistant. Believe me, it's worth the extra 1.54
2)Do not leave the curtain bunched up after you get out of the shower. This is hard to remember but it makes a big difference. Mildew needs a moist environment to grow. Keeping your curtain bunched means the water in the folds will not dry and mildew has a great breeding ground.
3) Keep a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia next to your shower. Mist the shower every so often after you leave. This stops mold spores in their tracks. Cheap and very effective.
4)Wipe down your curtain every two weeks. A little dilute bleach doesn't hurt either.

Here's to a mold free shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment