What do you do when you have no time to pack lunches in the morning? I suppose in some areas you can go and purchase something nice, but in this neighborhood purchasing options are both limited and expensive. Plus you can't always count on being to use the microwave where you work. I've got a stock of go-to lunches for those busy mornings.
1) Quesidillas: They look impressive but their, really quick. Just grab a trotilla (I use the Mission brand) and throw some grated cheese on it. Then slap another tortilla on top and shove it in the oven at 400 for about ten minutes. The longer the oven time the crispier/crublier it gets. Slice with a pizza cutter and pack it up with a little tupperware of marinara sauce or sour cream for dipping.
2) Heart of Palm Salad: Toss some lettuce with whatever veggies you have around and then to make it special throw in some hearts of palm. Note: I find the jarred hearts of palm are much softer and tastier than the canned ones. For some reason the cans just do not incude enough juices for marinating. I like a french or thousand island dressin but anything can work.
3) Grilled cheese sandwiches: My sister gave me a sandwich maker. Best gift ever. Just put the bread, the chesse and whatever else you want it the machine and pull it our before you go. Great and low maintenance.
4) Leftovers from hte night before: Self explanatory and it helps you get rid of those pesky leftovers from the night before.
5) Corn on the cob: Rub a little butter over the husked corn. Put the corn in a ziplock with a tablespoon or two of water. Clse the ziplock. Microwave on high for two minutes per corn. Tastes better than boiling by hte way. This is how I prefer corn tat hasn't been grilled.
I am als a big fan of making giant batches of things and freezing them for quick lunch defrosting. I'll post those freezer friendly recipes another time.
Share your quick lunch tips!